Friday 9 December 2016

Project Eddy - Proving my old man wrong because I'm as stubborn as he is

I like small Japanese cars. My old man likes muscle cars and big motors. He told me that it would be nothing but a pipe dream to get a 4cyl Civic to go fast (a benchmark of 12s 1/4 mile) without spending big dollars. This build was created to prove him wrong.

I'm also terrible at writing so feel free to view this blog like a picture book.

Here's my starting base for this journey:


I'm no stranger when it comes to Honda's as I've owned close to 30 (not including a Silvia S13, SA22 RX7, N12 ET Turbo, VK Calais, EP82 GT Starlet, L200 Mira, R34 Skyline and my current K11 Micra) in the past 15 years with various engine swaps so I was already familiar with the potential that they had but also knew that they weren't nice on the wallet when you tried to squeeze everything out of them without going forced induction or straight to a K series motor so my options seemed quite limited.

For some reason (I still don't know why) the H series motors were never a popular platform in Australia for people upgrading their engine setups even though they could be found for the same price as a D series motor. If you were going 2L or above, the choice was always to go B20 frank or just straight to a K series. I figured getting more displacement at a cheaper cost made sense so I purchased my donor (or what was left of it after I parted it out in this photo):



End goal is to get 1:10.x at Wakefield Park Raceway and 12.x seconds at the strip. I think this setup has the potential to reach both of those goals with a good driver, however, I have only raced on a circuit and been to the strip a total of once in my life so I'm already fighting an uphill battle. But, you know, being stubborn 'n stuff sometimes pays off (I hope).