Monday 17 July 2017

Replacing the block


Went for a drive 4 hours out of Sydney to pick up a motor


Leaving the block till last has bit me in the butt. Found 2 cracks behind the crank pulley after cleaning the block which seems to have been from improper installation and stress. Lucky for me I had already found another block which I'll be putting my current head on as its been cleaned, rebuilt and ready to go. 


Doesn't look pretty (yet) but it's not cracked, so that's a plus

Smoko break between ACT/NSW on the way back home

Ripped the 'new' motor apart


Already much cleaner than my original one


Comparison between the main bridge (golden one is what the dark brown one should look like lol)

Plastigauged the journals to make sure it's not a dud motor

As stated before, I will be using the freshened up head with this new block. The blocks are identical between the Z1/A4, only difference being the main journal diameter @ 55mm on the Z1 compared to the 50mm main crank on the A4 (which is the same as the jap spec H22A). Another bonus is no sensor ports on the oil pump as I'll be using an OBD1 dizzy which has the CKP/TDC sensors inbuilt rather than getting a magnetic signal from the oil pump housing itself.


Currently sitting in the corner waiting for piston rings/bearings, oil/water pumps and some assembly lube and should pretty much be done.